This is my newest critter design. A freelance sort of fantasy vehicle but it came out pretty good and was fun to build. A couple of 3D peoples and some resin cast details thrown in for good measure. Everything is cut out on the CNC machine except the fuel tank which is a piece of PVC pipe. (I cut those on the band saw). Anythow, I am planning on possibly selling these as kits or at least making the plans available, not sure how that’s going to work out quite yet…
One of my 3D printed 1/29 scale fellows on a CNC cut out Critter. Its a tiny locomotive I’ve designed based on a collage of prototypes from google searches. It’s cut out of sheet of 5mm finish ply and fits on a USA Trains 4 wheel power truck. I’ve left room for batteries and controls, I’m not a track power guy.
Finally got the basics together with a coat of primer. Some 1/29 People standing in front. Need some glass in the windows and an interior, some shingles on the roof and other details but the basic shell is coming off the router pretty well now. Still needs some tweaking to get a good solid production run but it’s coming together nicely.
Man, my o-flute-upcut carbide bit does some clean work on .125 inch styrene! This is the design from a few posts down, cut out with the CNC. A waterproof R/C servo provides the automation. The arm has one super magnet, the wheel on the servo has two. The idea here is that you can throw the lever manually to control a turnout but that it also remains at all times under control of the computer.
That’s the plan anyhow. The magnets are those little really powerful ones. They act like a ‘clutch’ in this situation. So far it works on the bench but the real world is another story, I’m not quite there yet. I need to install them on my three turnouts and stick them out in the cold rain for some testing.
It’s a learning curve but I’m getting there. Here is the basic storefront and one side of the dollar saver general store. Mr Big checks out the sign. I still have resin casts and a couple of molds to complete, the ones shown are obviously not up to par. I’ve been through about 12 sheets of 18×18 inch 1/8 ply to get here but I must say, this is the BEST machine I have ever bought. I just got a set of 1/32 inch carbide bits, they work GREAT and give a super smooth finish, the letters were all cut with that bit.
So here ya have it, front, side and support of a building I’m working on. All the window and door openings look rough but will be filled with resin castings. There seems to be a sort of ‘black art’ to selecting the right bit for the right material and then getting the feedrate right as well. I’m closer to figuring it out I guess.